rayschatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talk all about the Tampa Bay Rays here!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Getting the job done!

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
djhmmoh

djhmmoh

Getting the job done! Empty
PostSubject: Getting the job done!   Getting the job done! EmptyMon May 23, 2011 1:47 am

Took a solace game from the Marlins and I am not going to go into too much on Shields except to say, thank you, that was pure joy to watch!
From the offensive side of the game I want everybody to remember that after all we are a $40M team and not blessed with the super stars that can with one swing of the bat change games. It seems we have lost a bit of focus on the get em on, get em over, get em in concept that was supposed to be our mantra this year. Not getting the leadoff runner aboard half the time is killing us. We NEED Sam Fuld on base disturbing the pitchers, advancing by stealing, and keeping the pressure on THEM. I feel watching the games when we were streaking till now, the pressure has changed and it is on us to get on base or score. Two/three weeks ago the pressure was on the other side to keep us off base, because when we got a runner on things were gonna happen!
I have posted this before and I sincerly believe, that with all the fundamentally sound baseball played by our team, one aspect is missing that would radically change the pysche of the game. Yes, you've heard this before but BJ can fly, Sam Fuld is fast and S-Rod started his career with, THE BUNT. Think of what it does, and I'm not talking about the Oh, we need to move a runner over thing, I'm talking about bunting for a base hit! The fore mentioned guys could and should be doing it often. Even Johnny Damon batting from the left and all his experience should be doing it. Not only would it give us extra baserunners, but it puts the defense on the defense. They must stay ready to charge a bunt, usually cheat in a bit, and this opens up the holes for swinging away.
One of the reasons the Yankees score most of there runs from the homer (besides their little league right field fence) is that all teams can play back against the grass waiting for the big swing. That gives the infielders more time to get to a ball and therefore wider range. I mean you gotta guy with BJ's speed who bunts his way on and by golly those corner infielders are gonna cheat in. When he sees that then he can swing away and find the hole.
This is my opinion and it may be worth what you paid for it. But, till somebody proves me wrong I'm hoping we could give it a shot!
Back to top Go down
KAKid

KAKid

PostSubject: Re: Getting the job done!   Getting the job done! EmptyThu May 26, 2011 11:53 am

I'll pay 2 cents for your opinion, and add my 2 cents to the pot. Wink Laughing

I think your evaluation is spot on. It IS what needs to be done. I think what is hampering the Ray's is they are trying too hard at the plate right now and putting unnecessary pressure on themselves (Fuld and BJ, especially). A team "gut check" in the clubhouse might go a long way to getting back on track. scratch
Back to top Go down
djhmmoh

djhmmoh

PostSubject: Easy Fix!!!   Getting the job done! EmptyFri May 27, 2011 1:04 am

I think it is even easier than a gut check meeting. When the leadoff batter steps to the plate on Friday night, the base coach signals for the bunt! See ball, bunt ball, run like heck!!!
Let's get those pitchers into the stretch, and keep them from getting into as rythm, so we can wreak havoc on the basepaths. The last 3 years we have led the MLB in steals by a long, long margin. Ok, losing CC was not gonna help, but at one time Fuld was leading the league. Ya gotta get on base to steal.
But my new favorite baseball saying comes into play here:
"The farther away you are the easier it looks", and here I am in Stockholm Sweden... got it all figured out.
Let's get hot!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Getting the job done!   Getting the job done! Empty

Back to top Go down

Getting the job done!
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
rayschatter :: Tampa Bay Rays :: Past Games-
Jump to: