rayschatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talk all about the Tampa Bay Rays here!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Damon, Sheffield?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TBraysfanforever
Admin
TBraysfanforever

Damon, Sheffield? Empty
PostSubject: Damon, Sheffield?   Damon, Sheffield? EmptyTue Dec 07, 2010 11:48 pm

Quote :
Damon, Sheffield Interested In Rays
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [December 7 at 11:16pm CST]

11:16pm: Johnny Damon told Marc Topkin of the St. Petersburg Times that he'd like to play for the Rays. Damon said earlier this offseason that he'd like to re-join the Yankees.

4:07pm: Gary Sheffield told Steve Kornacki of MLive.com that he wants to play next year and that the Tampa Bay Rays are his first choice. Sheffield, who has ruled out a return to Detroit, wants to play for a competitive team. He says one team offered him an everyday job last year, but he turned the gig down because of doubts that the club could compete.

Sheffield batted .276/.372/.451 in 312 plate appearances for the 2009 Mets. It seems unlikely that National League teams would be comfortable allowing Sheffield to patrol the outfield on a daily basis, as he's now 42. Sheffield was born in Tampa and would like to play close to home.
- MLBtraderumors.com

Heck I would take both of them. We NEED offense, if we could sign both of them to a one year deal that stays in our payroll limit I seriously think we could compete for it all next year. I don't think we're far off, even with the losses. We just need to rebuild the bullpen and add some offense and I think we could definitely compete. Hopefully the Rays will start talking to these guys.

Back to top Go down
https://rayschatter.forumotion.com
djhmmoh

djhmmoh

Damon, Sheffield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damon, Sheffield?   Damon, Sheffield? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 10:58 am

Well, I could see signing Sheffield to an incentive based contract, but Johnny Damon will make more then our whole outfield, and won't cover the ground as well as either Jennings or Perez, so I think his value could only be DH. I for one would like to see SOME familiar faces. I think Aybar should be signed as DH/Utility infield, to back up Longo and Johnson at 1st. He has never seen a normal amount of action for us but the time he spelled Longo on the DL he was great at the plate, so maybe with regular AB's he could pan out, though I believe he is also a FA and may get a great deal elsewhere! Willie has the best results for us pinch hitting and of course the playoffs 2008!
Back to top Go down
KAKid

KAKid

Damon, Sheffield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damon, Sheffield?   Damon, Sheffield? EmptyWed Dec 08, 2010 11:12 am

As much as I like both Shef and Damon, the Ray's track record of bringing in a "stick" has not been very successful. I'd rather see the young guns (Johnson, Joyce, Ruggiano) have the opportunity to step up and focus any deals on the bullpen.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Damon, Sheffield? Empty
PostSubject: Re: Damon, Sheffield?   Damon, Sheffield? Empty

Back to top Go down

Damon, Sheffield?
Page 1 of 1