rayschatter
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Talk all about the Tampa Bay Rays here!

HomeHome  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Gregg Zaun

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TBraysfanforever
Admin
TBraysfanforever

Gregg Zaun Empty
PostSubject: Gregg Zaun   Gregg Zaun EmptyMon Nov 15, 2010 11:55 pm

Quote :

Gregg Zaun Would Prefer To Sign With Rays
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [November 9, 2010 at 3:56pm CST]

Gregg Zaun would like to return to Tampa Bay, according to Jim Bowden of MLB Network Radio (on Twitter). Zaun said on Bowden's radio show that his first choice is to sign in Tampa Bay, where he played at the end of the 2009 season.

Zaun's 2010 campaign lasted just 28 games, so the Brewers recently declined their 2011 option for the catcher. He hit .265/.350/.392 before he tore the labrum in his right shoulder and missed the rest of the season.

Zaun signed a one-year $1.5MM deal with Baltimore before the 2009 season and a one-year $1.9MM deal with Milwaukee before the 2010 season. The 39-year-old is in line for another one-year deal, but could be available for even less than usual because of his injury-shortened season.

Dioner Navarro probably won't be back in Tampa Bay, but the Rays do have John Jaso and Kelly Shoppach, so they don't appear to need Zaun.

Interesting article I found on MLBtraderumors. I wouldn't mind signing Gregg Zaun. I liked him a lot when he played with us before. If we could sign him and release Shoppach and Navarro we would have Jaso, a young developing catcher, and Zaun a veteran catcher. To me it doesn't get better than that. What do you guys think? Also Jermaine Dye has said that three teams have contacted him about possible deals including the Rockies, Phillies, and the RAYS. Comments?
Back to top Go down
https://rayschatter.forumotion.com
RaysFan56

Gregg Zaun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gregg Zaun   Gregg Zaun EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 5:59 am

I could give or take Zaun. I do agree that it would be nice to have a long-time veteran behind Jaso, to give him a steady rock under him for support. I hope and pray that Navarro has played his last game as a Ray. I think Shoppach could be a good catcher in the future, but I do agree that Jaso is out catcher of the future.

As for Jermaine Dye? I would LOVE to see him as a Ray. I remember watching him in the minors, playing for the Greenville Braves. My dad begged me to drive up from Ft Lauderdale to Greenville one summer to come see that kid. He was phenomenal there and I saw a white hot MLB career ahead of him. Unfortunately that hasn't come to fruition, but I do think that he is a very solid outfielder. I also think that he would fit nicely into the Rays outfield. He has good speed, a very good glove and he can hit (Not only for avg but for power as well).

My question is, how much longer will Maddon stick with Upton in center? I LOVE Upton out there, but how much longer can we wait for him to break out of this now, 2-year long batting slump? YES, his defense is up there with the best of him, but the center field position needs to produce at the plate as well.
Back to top Go down
TBraysfanforever
Admin
TBraysfanforever

Gregg Zaun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gregg Zaun   Gregg Zaun EmptyTue Nov 16, 2010 11:26 pm

RaysFan56 wrote:
I could give or take Zaun. I do agree that it would be nice to have a long-time veteran behind Jaso, to give him a steady rock under him for support. I hope and pray that Navarro has played his last game as a Ray. I think Shoppach could be a good catcher in the future, but I do agree that Jaso is out catcher of the future.

As for Jermaine Dye? I would LOVE to see him as a Ray. I remember watching him in the minors, playing for the Greenville Braves. My dad begged me to drive up from Ft Lauderdale to Greenville one summer to come see that kid. He was phenomenal there and I saw a white hot MLB career ahead of him. Unfortunately that hasn't come to fruition, but I do think that he is a very solid outfielder. I also think that he would fit nicely into the Rays outfield. He has good speed, a very good glove and he can hit (Not only for avg but for power as well).

My question is, how much longer will Maddon stick with Upton in center? I LOVE Upton out there, but how much longer can we wait for him to break out of this now, 2-year long batting slump? YES, his defense is up there with the best of him, but the center field position needs to produce at the plate as well.

Well, unfortunately Dye said he wants to play for a contender.. I don't think he would choose the Rays over the Phillies. Or even the Rockies for that matter. Most people will give the Rays very little chance, if any at all, to make the Playoffs or even contend for that matter. Hopefully we will still contend but the Front Office has GOT to put a good team together in order to do that, because a lot of key pieces won't be back.

As for Upton, I say it's time to trade him. He is already involved in trade rumors, and I would trade him even if it's just for some prospects. Just make sure they get some guys that hit for a high average. That's what we need I would love to get a high average guy and even if he hits no homers in the whole season as long as he hits .300 I would be happy. It'd be nice to put someone who hits for a high average in front of Longo and that would give him some support too. Normally one player doesn't make a team, but if we could indeed get someone to bat third who hits for a high average, we would fix a lot of the problems we had this year. That would help Longo play better. Also, I think the young batters we had this year will hit better too and if we could get someone who could bring some guys in I think we'll be hard to beat. Our Rotation is solid, so if we could just score say 5 runs on a daily basis I would be a lot happier with that than winning games 10-0, and the reason being this year we could put ten runs on you or we could be no hit. That lack of consistency is what killed us..
Back to top Go down
djhmmoh

djhmmoh

Gregg Zaun Empty
PostSubject: Greg Zaun    Gregg Zaun EmptyWed Nov 17, 2010 1:45 am

I think what needs to be addressed with a possible Zaun signing is that I believe he is also a lefty at the plate which doesn't give us the right handed option to Jaso. We need to know if JJ is gonna be able to take a very heavy workload, as Greg would be used primarily as a mentor, give him a day off kinda guy. If somebody could get Shoppach to hit a baseball I could accept him. Trading Navi and Shoppach for a hitting/throw out the runner catcher would be optimum, but of course everybody wants one of those.
Back to top Go down
TBraysfanforever
Admin
TBraysfanforever

Gregg Zaun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gregg Zaun   Gregg Zaun EmptyThu Nov 18, 2010 2:04 am

That's true, would be nice to have a righty lefty combo. I just want anyone other than Shoppach. I think Shoppach is just atrocious offensively, and although he might have room to grow I don't see it happening. I like Navvi, but with his lack of offensive skills I think he'd be a lot better playing for a team that is better offensively. Unfortunately our offense was terrible this year, and we don't need Navvi to make things worse. However, I think he is a good catcher and could be a lot better somewhere else where offense isn't as needed. Here, we need offense more than anything. Also, we could just pick up any catcher that is at least a prospect. Or someone who isn't proven in the bigs yet but is ready to go, for example Jason Castro of the Astros. If we could just find someone like that I think we'd be okay, and if not I say go for Zaun. Give it a shot we have nothing to lose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Gregg Zaun Empty
PostSubject: Re: Gregg Zaun   Gregg Zaun Empty

Back to top Go down

Gregg Zaun
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
rayschatter :: Tampa Bay Rays :: Player Signings-
Jump to: